February 22, 2009

The Incubator

One day soon, the seeds will be set and my little babies will emerge, ever-reaching for sunlight and thirsty for water. My husband and I set up our future darlings temporary housing - on top the fridge.


We only have one south-facing window, which I utilized last year, but this year my son occupies the space. I have read the warmth generated by the refrigerator will help germination. We hung a two foot shop light from the ceiling and replaced the bulbs with grow lights. I have room for two 72-count Jiffy starter kits. Although I'm not entirely fond of the peat pellets, it will have to do for this year. Maybe by the end of the year, I'll figure out how to build a cold frame.

The first date to plant is March 7th (broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, lettuce). I can hardly wait!

No comments: